Januar is a fintech/crypto startup on the rise, and we’re looking for the next product stars to join our team.
Januar is a young fintech company with big ambitions, officially founded in January 2021. We are a team of 30+ experienced people from diverse industries, coming together to build the leading one-stop crypto gate for European businesses.
Januar is launching its MVP, which provides crypto companies with access to multi-currency IBAN payment accounts to collect and disburse payment to/from their own customer base. Januar has a Payment Service Provider Licence with the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority, enabling us to set up relationships with banks to integrate their infrastructure with Januar’s products and services.
We are still in the early stages and have much more to develop, so you will need to thrive in the fast-paced, sometimes slightly chaotic work environment, where team spirit and delegated leadership go hand-in-hand.
Your primary working location would be at Copenhagen Fintech Lab (Applebys Plads 7).
The role - why we need you!
As a Product Owner at Januar, you will report directly to our Head of Product, Jens Warnez. You will be part of a dual-track agile team in which you take ownership of Product Delivery, while a colleague takes ownership of Product Discovery.
The Product Delivery role is primarily internal-facing towards our Tech team, but will also manage relationships with other departments and external partners.
You will be the second Product Owner at Januar, with a focus on either fiat or crypto, depending on your skillset and interests. Whether you have a strong background from traditional finance or from the crypto industry, we encourage you to apply.
Your mission is to work with the Tech team and other stakeholders to deliver carefully selected value-adding functionalities, so that crypto companies can integrate their fiat and crypto financial flows better, faster and cheaper!
You will be in charge of delivering new product functionalities in collaboration with other delivery teams like tech backend, tech frontend, design, UI, and UX. If anybody at Januar has an implementation question involving Product, you'll be the go-to person!
To succeed in this role, you will be expected to...
- Represent product towards other delivery teams:
- Join daily meetings with Tech and other teams as needed.
- Break down problems and devise solutions together.
- Implement measuring & reporting of success criteria of new product functionalities.
- Prioritise bug fixing and feature development.
- Answer product questions.
- Ensure product acceptance of delivery work.
- Participate in daily product stand-ups to coordinate and share updates.
- Relay work effort and time estimates to the Product team for improved prioritization and planning of capabilities and features.
- In collaboration with a Discovery-focused product colleague, you will define features and user stories to a level appropriate for other delivery teams.
- Be in charge of product-related partnerships, meaning that you contribute to evaluating third-party providers, related integration work, and maybe owning the relationship.
- Ensure that Operations is always ready to handle newly deployed product functionalities by providing the necessary documentation and training.
- Process input from Risk & Legal, and ensure the product is compliant within reasonable expectations.
What you bring to the table
To succeed in this role, we imagine you have most of the following...
- At least 2 years' experience in a delivery-focused Product or software engineering role with proven success.
- Experience interacting with a tech team on a daily basis.
- Communication skills involving external and internal stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm about the crypto finance products we are going to build.
- A strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
- Enough tech savviness to understand the complexity and effort needed for delivery teams to ship a solution.
- You don’t need to have a past life in COBOL coding (pun intended), but a learning mindset with a focus on tech and finance is needed to succeed.
It is a requirement that you live in Copenhagen or are willing to relocate at your own cost. It is furthermore a requirement that you are able to present a clean criminal record.
It's a plus if you have...
- The ability to focus on the “how” questions of product delivery. Therefore, a background in crypto, fiat payments, or the general finance industry will serve you well.
- Detailed knowledge about PSD2, Open Banking, Payment Rails, Payment APIs, and related movement of funds between different financial institutions.
- Knowledge about Product Analytics, software development, UI, UX, and/or Wireframing.
- Time management and prioritization skills.
- A growth mindset and eagerness to learn - as well as openness about your work and the knowledge you acquire.
- Fluency in Danish and other languages.
- A healthy dose of humour.
What's in it for you?
- A career in one of the most exciting crypto-finance startups in the Nordics targeting the full European market.
- Challenging and rewarding assignments that make a real impact.
- Salary according to qualifications and experience.
- A stake in the company via warrants.
- Significant flexibility when you work.
- Private health insurance.
- Learning opportunities, social activities, and events - you’re welcome to arrange some, too!
Your first steps
During your first months on the team, you'll learn about Januar, the industry we operate in, our delivery teams, and the current product roadmap. You will collaborate with the Head of Product and align with different delivery teams to shape your work, setting milestones for Januar's product delivery and your own development. Taking a Cryptocurrency Essentials certification is part of your onboarding.
We suggest applying as soon as possible, as we are continuously evaluating incoming applications. Questions about the position can be directed to Jens Warnez at email@example.com.
A fair chance
We believe that everyone deserves a fair chance, and that diverse teams make better business. We welcome all people regardless of age, gender, experience and background - what counts is that you can make a difference in our business, together with the team.
We are open to applications from all sections of society. If you are excited about the role and can add new experience and perspectives to Januar, do send us a motivated application
Our recruitment process
We review applications on an ongoing basis and invite all suitable candidates for a brief initial call with our Head of People & Culture, where you’ll learn a bit more about Januar and how we work.
If there is still mutual interest, we will set up an interview with the hiring manager, so you can learn more about the specific job at hand. We might give you a small assignment that we can talk about in a second interview.
If there is a good match professionally as well, you will be invited to meet more colleagues from our team. If the chemistry still feels right for both parties, we will look forward to welcoming you to Januar!